Tuesday, December 30, 2008

New Year, New View

Though I've blogged a bit elsewhere, I think it's time to focus on the political sphere, and what I'm doing in it. Harris County, home of Houston Texas, is changing politically, demographically, economically and in many other ways. I've heard it said in several places that Harris County is Ground Zero for the future of the Republican Party as a whole. If that's true, then I have a ringside seat. Or a place in the clown car anyway.

At present I'm a precinct chair in the far west part of the county. I also serve on the Rules committee for the county party, and in leadership for my Senate District. I've been a precinct chair for a little over a year, but I've been involved in the convention process for the Republican party for over ten years. I'm very opinionated and outspoken, and I don't always get it right by any means.

But I do believe in the platform of the Republican party, and the stand it takes.
I believe in the people who crafted it.
I believe in the people who go to work in unglamorous jobs every day making a living for their families.
I believe in servant leadership, and in an electorate that holds politicians accountable.
I believe that what we do as a nation is what we are, and that it's our obligation to know what is happening in our government.

I believe that following politics is more important than following my favorite sports team.
I believe this because Drayton McLane can't get into my wallet but Barak Obama definitely can.

Most of all, I believe this is where I am supposed to be. A Sovereign God gave me this awful curiosity and enthusiasm for politics, and placed me where I can do the most damage good.

I hope readers find something interesting here, something to care about, something worth fighting for. At the least, they'll be able to watch me fall, get back up, and fall again, and laugh with me at myself.

1 comment:

  1. Ms. Fishie, AMEN! It is good to hear others so fired up. However, I feel like a voice of one crying in the wilderness. It is very frustrating this game of politics. I am not giving up on the process yet. It is the greatest in the world still. Yes our party needs "CHANGE" also. Thank you for your activism and boldness to speakout. I will continue to listen Apostle Claver and read your blog. Terry Johnson Precinct Chair 678

    ReplyDelete