Saturday, January 3, 2009

From Spectator to Activist

I've been more active than most people I know in politics. I've been to conventions and served in convention leadership. I've joined campaigns and worked for candidates. I've walked blocks (streetwalking, my husband teases) and written endorsements and planned political events.

Twelve years ago, I didn't do anything but vote. I remember having to take a day off work in Austin so I could go back home and vote in some election because I never bothered to change my registration. I read up on candidates and the issues, but not in the way I do now. I admit it. I was supremely lazy.

Since having my second child and buying a house and settling down, I have become much more radical in my political involvement. I don't know what changed, really, except that it did.

Now I'm starting the new year with a lot on my plate. I'm working with others to train non-tech-savvy people to learn the technology that's out there, and harness it for conservative ends. I'm helping to fill precinct chair vacancies. I'm part of a committee to better organize local political divisions. I'm studying for the upcoming political season, including school board elections that are right around the corner. In there somewhere, I'm also studying for the Registered Parliamentarian exam, serving on a committee with the county party, and planning a run for a state party office.

WHO did this to me?

Anyway, one of the things I realized today is that it's hard to mobilize people to take action. For instance, the Texas Childrens' Bill of Rights that's being introduced in this upcoming session. This is utter lunacy, and yet I would wager that I can't get ten people to read it, much less do anything about fighting it.

And then there's the problem of effectiveness. Once you have someone's attention and committment to take an action step, where do you send them? There may be a hundred offensive bills up for consideration in the Legislature. Where do you concentrate your effort? And how do you get the information out to people who WILL take action in a way that doesn't overwhelm them? How do you get over the glut of panicked e-mails we receive every day on topics from abortion to welfare reform?

There has to be a clearinghouse somewhere that collates all the threats to liberty and conservative values. There has to be a place where you can read about the Dunkirk movement (calling for Christian parents to rescue their children from public schools) and the Texas Speaker's Race and the Blocker Bill.

I'm on the hunt. And if I don't find something that fits the bill, I'm creating it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Fishie. This is a good post and these are questions that I'm struggling with, too, albeit for Washington, not Texas. If you haven't checked out America c2c, you could check join their Texas group and see if that gives you what you're looking for. If that doesn't work out, try setting up your own ning networking site.

    Thanks for linking to my blog, It's Only Words, I'll be linking back here.

    ReplyDelete